Alía is a Spanish town in the province of Cáceres, in Extremadura, located in the southeast corner of the province. It is included in Las Villuercas region.
Its municipality covers an area of 599.40 km² which confers it in the seventh largest in the community. It was founded in the Middle Ages, in times of al-Andalus, and its name comes from Arabic. In 1756 Alía was granted the title of villa.
During the Spanish Civil War, Alía was the only municipality in the province of Cáceres that remained in the territory of the Republic. Alia's name comes from the Arabic ʿĀliya (عالية), which means "high."
Alía has three districts, Cíjara, Puerto Rey (shared with Sevilleja de la Jara) and La Calera, as well as other important hamlets such as San Juan and Almansa. It is located in the southeast of the Province of Cáceres, bordering the provinces of Toledo and Badajoz.
Las Villuercas (which takes its name from the surrounding mountain range) are located between the Tajo and the Guadiana rivers in the southeast of Cáceres, with mountainous orography, whose maximum height is the Villuerca cliff (1601 m).
In this region divided into different ecosystems, there is a rugged area of half mountain, with well-preserved deciduous forests (chestnut, ridge and oak). At mid-altitude the cork oaks proliferate, and in the pastures the oaks grow.
It also has a varied fauna composed of deer, wild boar, cattle. It houses specimens of Iberian lynx in its most virgin areas. It has been declared a zone of special protection for birds (SPA) to conserve various species of the region, since it constitutes a place of temporary residence and migratory stop.
In its 1545.05 km², 8,648 inhabitants reside, thus becoming one of the most unpopulated areas of Spain. Its main town is Logrosán. Other important populations are Guadalupe, where the Monastery of Guadalupe is located, declared a World Heritage Site, Cañamero, Alía and Castañar de Ibor.
In this region there is the greatest amount of cave paintings in all of Extremadura, and there are numerous archaeological remains and vestiges of the different cultures that have resided in their lands throughout history.
Las Villuercas is bordered to the north by the Tajo River and Campo Arañuelo, to the west by Trujillo, to the south by the Guadiana River, the Cijara Swamp, La Siberia and La Serena-Vegas Altas (all three in the province of Badajoz), and to the east with La Jara in the province of Toledo.
The Villuercas-Ibores-Jara Geopark is a large mountain range (2,544 km2) located in the southeast of the province of Cáceres, between the Tajo and Guadiana basins. Its highest height is the "Risco de La Villuerca" (1,601 m), and from its top there is a magnificent view that includes the mountain ranges, the valleys, the roots and Guadalupe, with the Royal Monastery as a hallmark.
This orographic set has been declared a Geopark when it has become part, since September 2011, of the European and Global Geoparks Networks sponsored by UNESCO. Since November 2015, it has also been considered a UNESCO WORLD GEOPARK.